Tuesday, December 13, 2011

melbourne family

federation square 
banks of the yarra river

with my host brothers luke and dave

don't fight the australian law

my host mum, val

laurel says:
in 1998, one month after my 16th birthday, my parents shipped a bawling teenager off to australia to live in the homes of strangers for 12 months.  this turned out to be one of the best years of my life and was instrumental in forming my entire future.  i spent my junior year of high school as a rotary youth exchange student in the tiny town of mortlake, australia (population 1100).  i owe many thanks to my grandpa bob for encouraging me to pursue the rotary opportunity to study abroad and my parents for their support.  the graciousness, love and friendship afforded me by my host families is a gift that will never be forgotten.  now 13 years later, it was a pleasure to be able to take emil to melbourne to meet some of my extended family.  and we picked up just where we left off. laughing, drinking and running thru the streets of chinatown in pursuit of dumplings at 2am.

No comments:

Post a Comment